Tips for Hiring a Contractor
Verify contractor’s license, before asking for bids or entering into any agreements with a contractor. When checking a contractor’s license:
- Verify the contractor is actively licensed. This means the contractor can legally work in British Columbia bonded with proof of liability insurance and Work Safe B.C. compensation insurance.
- Check the contractor’s history of complaints (disputes) and any other licenses associated with the contractor’s name.
- Get more than one bid from licensed contractors before making a decision.
- Don’t automatically accept the lowest bid. A higher bid may be worth the price in better materials or workmanship. If you get a very low bid, the contractor may have made a mistake or not bid everything. If the bid is too low to make a profit, they may use cheaper materials or take shortcuts.
- Ask for references. Check with previous customers. Were they satisfied with the work? Was the work completed on time? Did the contractor return phone calls?